Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Early Weapons / Primeras Armas



      Once finished the script, and check it, the first I made was take notes for the characters atrezzo. Was then that I be aware how immense work I have before me; at first glance vast.

      So one day, holyday to me, I take a ride to Madrid and visit the armoury of the Palacio Real to see the pieces that been housing there using the Wednesday free entrance at the afternoon.

Armoury of the Palacio Real de Madrid

      Very immpresive at first sight! Later, when I was draw on throughout the collection I notice that they have not much pieces , very little, from the XVIth century first half, the epoch that concerning me, especifically the period from 1500 - 1530. The rest of the collection, interesting and very valuable, rares and artistics pieces of art and worth of admiration, was, the most of them, Charles V's regalia armours. This no work to my proposals.

      There no allow photos so I must to take hand notes on paper only.

      I think I spend 3 hours standing, more or less, drawing and studying the pieces;


 bevors, morions and cabacetes; a couple of adargas shields and horses and dogs harness;


 swords and daggers form the Conquista period. At this respect I notice that the sword guards was some different from that I think to know; the sword guard was in cross-shape instead of the most elegant and complicated lace-shape guard of later years.


      The security guards come close to me curious to watch me draw amazed how I can do it with just a pen.


      The tourist too. One of the guards, a girl, say me that maybe the next time I must bring a folding chair. She was right! Just then I be conscious that I have the back make ruin.


      Finish the little notes of that day look over the rest of the exhibition for a while; I was exhausted. I go home very satisfied for the work made, aware that the matter was more complicated that I think.

                                                                             ***


      Una vez escrito el guión, y revisado, lo primero fue empezar a tomar notas para el atrezzo de los personajes. Fue entonces que constaté la inmensa labor que se me venía por delante; a primera vista inabarcable.

      Así que un buen día que justo me pillaba libre, decidí darme un paseo por Madrid y visitar la armería del Palacio Real a ver que piezas albergaban aprovechando la entrada gratuita los miércoles por la tarde.

Armería del Palacio Real de Madrid

      ¡A primera vista es impresionante! Luego, cuando fui avanzando por la colección, me percaté que poseían pocas piezas, muy pocas, de la época que me interesaba, es decir, la primera mitad del siglo XVI entre 1500 y 1530. El resto de la colección, muy interesante y con piezas valiosísimas y algunos ejemplares verdaderamente obras de arte y dignas de admiración, eran, la mayoría, armaduras de gala de Carlos V. Sin embargo no me servían para mi propósito.

      Para más no se podía o no dejaban hacer fotos así que tuve que tomar apuntes de pie con mis folios y mi cartón de apoyo.

      Estuve tan embebido en la labor que creo pasé 3 horas o mas, de pie, dibujando y estudiando las piezas;


barbutas, morriones y capacetes; un par de adargas y arneses para caballos y perros;


y espadas y dagas de la época de la Conquista. A este respecto comprobé que las empuñaduras eran más simple de lo que creía; las guardas de las espadas eran usualmente n forma de cruz en lugar de las más elaboradas y elegantes guardas de lazo de años posteriores.


      Los guardas se me acercaron y charlaban conmigo, curiosos, observando cómo dibujaba a bolígrafo,


al igual que algunos turistas. Una de seguridad me dijo que la próxima vez podría llevar una silla plegable. Fue entonces cuando reparé que tenía la espalda hecha polvo.


      Terminado los poco apuntes que pude curioseé el resto de la muestra pero solo un poco más, estaba agotado y al final me marché a casa pero muy satisfecho con la labor cumplida, consciente que el asunto era más complicado de lo que pensaba.

No comments:

Post a Comment